Vitamin C is well known as the first line for defence for staving off colds, but did you know that it’s also a hero skincare ingredient? A natural antioxidant, it works by neutralising free radicals, which are rogue molecules caused by sun radiation, smoke and pollution that can damage the DNA of skin cells. On a more surface level, vitamin C brightens skin and helps fade sun spots.
Pretty much all skin types will benefit from a hit of this vitamin, whether via slipping some extra citrus fruits into your diet, or by adding vitamin C-charged products into your daily beauty routine. A serum layered under moisturiser at night time will penetrate deeply into dehydrated skin, whereas waters, gels and wash-off formulas will offer a lighter dose for more sensitive skin types. Look out for products that have dark-tinted, airtight bottles. Exposure to air, light and heat can destabilise vitamin C and will affect the potency of your product, so keep it in a cool, dark place.
Ready to get your vitamins? Here’s a roundup of our favourite products.
- For a treat, booking in some downtime with an Aveda Vitamin C Facial might be just the ticket. This treatment douses skin in vitamin C-enriched oil for some intense hydration.
- Biotherm’s Aqua Glow Super Concentrate has a gel-fluid texture, ideal if you don’t like rich creams. Used alone or under moisturiser, it’s designed to brighten and soothe dull-looking skin.
- Rather than baking your face in the sun, chancing skin damage and dryness in the process, try a hydrating tint. Guerlain Terracotta Reve d’Eté has a jelly-like texture which is undetectable once it’s smoothed on and builds a subtle glow as the days go by. It boasts a bonus cocktail of vitamins C, E and trace minerals to fortify your skin.
- Want to add some vitamin C as quickly and easily as possible? Lisa Franklin’s Micellar Water lets you sweep off the last vestiges of your makeup and sweep on some vitamins in one swoop of a cotton pad.
- If you want to add some serious vitamins to your skincare cabinet, Sepai EGF Youth Molecule may be the one for you. A serum packed with high levels of stable vitamin C and plant molecules, it’s vegan, too.
- Kiehl‘s Powerful-Strength Line-Reducing Concentrate is another heavy-hitter. Featuring 10.5% L-Ascorbic Acid (regarded as the most effective vitamin C skincare variant), this is blended with Hyaluronic Acid for deep hydration and line-smoothing capabilities.
Liked this article? Sign-up to our newsletter for more.