Kuyichi was founded in 2001 by NGO Solidaridad. Since the launch Kuyichi has expanded and is now represented in more than 500 leading stores across Europe and Australia. Their role in exploring and developing new sustainable garments production has led to a new accepted conscious approach in denim and fashion.
Despite volatile organic cotton prices, Kuyichi made the conscious choice to increase the use of organic cotton, while eliminating the use of conventional cotton in their collection. As a result, 98% of the cotton used in the collection was organic and accounts for 82% of the total collection.
In 2011, Kuyichi introduced styles containing recycled wool and recycled polyester. Additionally, they continue to use the sustainable Tencel® viscose. As a result of these efforts, Kuyichi has successfully increased the share of sustainable fibres to a total of 91%.Nearly half of all Kuyichi’s tops are now made from organically grown cotton, while the jeans use a 40% blend. Kuyichi produces its collections in Turkey, Peru, Tunisia and India, with some production in China and Italy.
Kuyichi looks after the social circumstances of the people who grow their cotton or make their garments. They work in close cooperation with Made-by to certify their suppliers according to the social standards approved by Made-by. Kuyichi has a strong focus on improving social conditions in the factories that produce their collection in 2011. As a member of BSCI, they strive towards having their current suppliers become socially compliant and, as a result, 33% of the collection was produced by BSCI compliant suppliers. Additionally, 10% of the collection was produced in SA8000 certified factories or in low-risk countries. Overall, 43% of the 2011 collection was produced by socially compliant suppliers, which is an increase from 9% the previous year.
For more details please visit http://www.kuyichi.com/.